Table of Contents
The way a man dresses can say a lot about them.
If done properly, it can give people a fantastic first impression, help you attract your significant other and, in some cases, you’ll be taken more seriously.
So dressing well is a beneficial thing to do.
But how do you do it?
While there might not be one definitive way to do it, as style is subjective, there are a few rules that every man should follow if they want to be seen as stylish.
So if that interests you, then keep on reading.
Rule #1 – Dress for the Occasion
Starting off with our list is an essential rule: always dress for the occasion. If you won’t, you’ll get unwanted attention and ruin your first impressions. That’s because you show that you don’t respect both the organizer and the guests.
So how do you make sure that you’re always appropriately dressed for the occasion? Well, the best thing you should do is learn the dress codes. Real Men Real Style made a great video about it, which you can learn by clicking here.
But if you’re still in doubt, it’s better to go with a more formal look than informal.
Rule #2 – Take Care of Your Body
While clothes play a big part of style, they are not everything! The other part is how you take care of your body. There are multiple ways of how you can take care of your body:
- Develop a Skin Care Routine – One of the secrets, why the most stylish men look so attractive, is that they have clear and healthy skin. If you’d like to start, you can try out different skincare brands like Tiege & Henley or Lumin Skin.
- Workout regularly – It’s no secret that skinny guys are more attractive than those with bigger bellies. So to fight against that, you should start working out. It can be as easy as going for a 30-minute run a few days a week.
- Get a Healthy Diet – Not only will you have better health, but you’ll also see some style benefits. For example, your skin might start looking more clear. Plus, it’s vital for your muscle growth.
There’s so much more you could do to take care of your body even more, but this should give you should be enough to start.
Rule #3 – Wear Neutral Colours
When buying new clothing, I always suggest you go with clothes that have neutral colours like navy blue or beige. That’s because of two reasons:
- They Match With Other Neutral Colours – Unlike bright or pastel colours, neutral colours work amazingly when mixed and matched together. That’s because none of these colours is too contrasting from each other.
- They Work For Every Skin Tone – It doesn’t matter if you’ve got pale or dark skin tone; neutrals work well for every skin tone.
So when in doubt, always try out a combo of neutral colours. You cannot mess up!
Rule #4 – Wear What Makes You Confident
It doesn’t matter what trendy clothes you wear. If you don’t feel confident in wearing them, don’t buy them! That’s because confidence plays a big part in how you’re perceived.
If you look confident wearing clothes that might be a bit out of style, you’re still considered an attractive guy. But when you wear the trendiest clothes and look uncomfortable wearing them, you’ll look less appealing.
So remember to go with clothes that you feel comfortable to wear, even if they don’t align with the latest fashion trends.
Rule #5 – Know Your Measurements
Have you heard a saying: “Fit is King”?
If you have, then you know how important this is. It doesn’t matter how trendy your clothes are; if they don’t fit your right, you won’t look good in them.
So what can you do about it? Well, there are two ways you could go.
- First, you could start by a size up or down and see if that makes any difference.
- If that doesn’t help, then I’d suggest you go to a tailor. That way, you’ll get clothing pieces that fit you perfectly. I especially recommend you do that with your suits.
Rule #6 – Know How to Tie a Tie
Wearing a tie is inevitable. There will be times when you’ll have to wear a tie. For example, you’re going to need it for your high school and college graduation, weddings, and formal experiences like black-tie events.
So it’s better to start learning before rather than later. Fortunately, it’s an easy thing to do. All you need to do is learn the Windsor knot. It’s super easy and requires only a few tries at the mirror before becoming muscle memory.
Real Men Real Style made a great video about it! You can learn it here along with other knots.
Rule #7 – Know the Best Colour Combinations
Colours play a big part in a stylish outfit. You don’t want to make something and call it a day hastily. Instead, you want to make sure that every piece compliments each other.
So how do you do it? Well, that’s by learning the best colour combinations available. Here are a few examples:
- For Navy Blue: White, Beige, Light Blue, Red
- For Red: White, Black, Gray, Brown
- For Beige: Navy Blue, Brown, White, Grey
- For Green: White, Brown, Navy Blue, Beige
You can also create your own combination very easily. All you need to do is find one stand-out piece (which is usually brightly coloured) and then find complementary neutral colours.
And those were the seven rules for dressing well. Now you have all the essential rules for looking as stylish as possible. Are there any other style rules I forgot to mention? If so, then make sure to comment them down below. That way, all of us can become even more stylish.