So you have finally made the decision to change your hair color.
Months of contemplating have led you to the hair dye section of the internet, where you have discovered a new problem.
Buying hair dye is hectic, right?
Many people struggle with buying hair dye, especially first timers. Picking the right hair dye seems easy until the moment comes and you are in front of endless options, trying to pick just one.
When you find yourself in this situation, the most important thing to remember is that you must take your time and be selective.
The wrong hair dye could dry your hair, damage your roots, and you may end up shaving it all off for a fresh start.
Thats why we created this guide, to help you choose the best dye for your hair type. At the bottom of it you will find some of the best hair dyes available on the market today.
How to choose the best hair dye for men?
There are three types of hair colorant in the market:
- Temporary coloring. This type of hair dye comes off after the first shampoo wash. Temporary hair dyes have a high molecular weight meaning that the color will be deposited onto the hair’s surface rather than penetrate the cortex. Temporary dyes are suitable for events and short-term commitments such as costume parties or performances.
- Semi-permanent coloring. This type of hair dye can withstand a few shampoo washes before it beings to fade, approximately three to six. This type of hair dye can penetrate the cortex and has a good affinity for hair keratin. Semi-permanent hair dye is the right choice for men who love to experiment with different options. It would also be a good idea for a festival or event that would last several days.
- Permanent coloring. This is the ultimate type of hair dye resistant to shampoo washing, sunlight, brushing, frication, and almost anything else you can think of. This type of dye will give you solid coloring for a long time. This type of hair dye is best for men who have made up their minds about a specific hair color. It is always good to be sure of the color you have chosen before using a permanent dye. Once it is on, you will have to leave it for a while as multiple dye jobs will damage your hair.
As you sift through the endless options of hair dyes in the market, you need to look out for a few characteristics. Good dye jobs are essential, and you want to ensure that everything you put on your hair will neither damage your skin nor follicles.
A good hair dye must therefore be:
- Non-injurious. Above all, an ideal hair dye should not cause any damage to your hair. It should color hair without affecting the natural texture and glossiness of the hair.
- Non-toxic. Hair dye should not irritate your skin in any way. If you feel any irritation, then you may not have the right product for you.
- Affinity to hair keratin. Your hair dye should have a high capacity to penetrate into the hair shaft. Temporary dyes are good, but if you are looking for something that will last long, ensure it has a high affinity to keratin.
- Uniform. A good hair dye will give the same color and opacity throughout your whole head. Whether front or back, suitable hair dye will tint hair uniformly.
- Stable. A good hair dye is stable in that it will not be affected by sunlight, sweat, friction, or any other elements. This should be a primary characteristic for permanent dyes as you will need something that does not wash off in a few weeks. Being stable also means that it produces the color on your hair as described.
- Unchanging. Finally, a good hair dye is one that will not change or fade with time. The color should remain as it was from the beginning, even as you shampoo, brush, and use products on your hair.
16 Best Hair Dye for Men
1. SoftSheen Carson Dark and Natural Hair Color
This is an excellent shampoo-in hair color that will provide you with a natural blend of color throughout your head. Its specialized formula ensures that your hair remains soft, with a natural luster and sheen. This is a reasonably easy hair dye to use as it works in 5 minutes only. The color will last for 6 weeks, maintaining an admirable opacity throughout the head. It is enriched with moisturizer and aloe vera to strengthen the hair and promote growth. This ammonia-free hair dye comes in three shades to match your needs.
2. Just For Men Easy Comb-In Color Hair Dye
This hair dye is guaranteed to give you foolproof results. It is specially designed to stop coloring after ten minutes to maintain a natural and believable dark level. The formula ensures that the dye retains its opacity for eight weeks. It comes with a comb applicator that gives you the freedom to apply in specific places. This is a great tool, especially if you are going for a salt and pepper look. It is effortless to use as it requires no mixing, and the application is as simple as combing your hair.
3. Clairol Natural Instincts Semi-Permanent Hair Dye
This is an excellent semi-permanent dye that can last through 28 shampoo washes. This is a great hair dye for men who want to try something new. Its formula guarantees to deliver a natural-looking color. It is also made with nourishing ingredients, including aloe vera and protein. These additives help to strengthen hair and ensure that it grows well. It comes in five color options, so you can find the one that works best for you. It is simple to use, following a three-step routine of mixing, application, and rinsing.
4. Bigen Ez M2 Color For Men
This is another excellent hair colorant made to give you a natural hair color. Its formula contains aloe extract that will give you a natural shine, proper moisturization, and stronger roots. Aloe will also promote hair growth significantly. It has no ammonia and low peroxide content to maintain optimum hair health. When dying your hair with this colorant, you do not have to worry about stains on the skin as the formula is designed to prevent that. Finally, it will give you multiple applications so you can stick to your favorite color every day.
5. The Henna Guys 100% Pure Henna Dye
If you are looking for a natural and vegan option, consider henna for your dye need. This henna dye from The Henna Guys is guaranteed to give you a beautiful color. It is free of chemical additives, making it 100% natural. If you are looking for smooth red or fiery orange undertones, this is the dye for you. It is also simple to use, requiring little time to tint your hair. Henna is also quite durable, and so using this dye will give you weeks of your color choice even with shampooing.
6. Just For Men Shampoo-In Color Hair Coloring for Men
This is a great hair dye that will help you restore your natural color while being effortlessly easy to use. With this hair dye, you can get natural-looking results within five minutes. The formula is designed to blend with your original hair color for a smooth, glossy appearance. It is enriched with vitamin E and olive oil for stronger and healthier hair. These ingredients will also give you a glossy finish. It is long-lasting and can withstand eight weeks of washing and brushing.
7. Henna King Manly Guy BLACK Hair, Beard & Mustache Color
This hair dye is gentle on your skin but will give your hair a luxurious sheen with the opacity you want. Considered nature’s way to cover up the grey, this hair dye has a unique formula that targets grey hairs and helps you come back to your natural hair color. It is easy to use as all it requires is mixing with water then application. It is easy to manage and will also last 4 to 8 weeks before it begins to fade. However, you can reapply as needed, especially for facial hair.
8. John Frieda Precision Foam Color
This is one of the products that a professional hairstylist will reach for to color your hair. It is a non-drip foam solution that makes application much more manageable. This foam solution makes it easy to dye hard to reach places and the roots as well. It will give you stunning color results that maintain an all-natural look. It comes with a nourishing conditioner that helps to keep hair healthy and strong. The conditioner also seals in the color giving you weeks of lustrous opacity. It comes in multiple color options making it perfect for any man.
9. Naturcolor 5N Light Burdock Hair Dyes
This is another suitable hair dye with no ammonia and instead focuses on nourishment and strengthening the hair. It is handcrafted with the finest Italian pigments derived from botanicals, i.e., plant extracts. This is, therefore, a very natural dye that promises zero toxicity and a lovely natural color. Application is fast and easy, taking less than an hour before you see noticeable changes. Unlike other hair products, it will not fade and can withstand weeks of regular shampooing. It is available in 31 colors that you can also blend for a patent color.
10. Just For Men Touch of Gray Hair Coloring for Men
If you are going for a salt and pepper look, then these hair dyes are the best choice for you. The formula is specially designed to target some but not all gray hairs you may be growing. Also, because it comes with a handy comb applicator, you will have a better chance of achieving this trendy look. It works in five minutes and is gentle on the air as it is air-activated. The lustrous color will last up to 8 weeks with regular washing.
11. Cremo No Mix, No Mess Hair and Beard Color
This is a convenient hair and beard dye that ensures you make no mess as you switch your look. It is a foam formula that is lightweight and easy to use. This consistency makes it easy to apply even on hard to reach places such as the back of the head. The rich formula ensures that you enjoy your hair color for 6 weeks, even with regular shampooing. Throughout the six weeks, you can expect no fading and easy maintenance. It comes in a spray bottle for even easier application.
12. Revlon Root Erase Permanent Hair Color
Looking for an instant touch up? This hair dye will not fail you. It is a permanent hair dye with a unique formula that gives you 100% grey coverage. It also matches your original hair color accurately for a natural look. Within five minutes of application, you will get good opaque results. It will even transform your roots to match your color accurately. Best of all, you can use this hair dye multiple times, and because it lasts for several weeks, you are set for months to come.
13. Arctic Fox Vegan and Cruelty-Free Semi-Permanent Hair Color Dye
We recommend this luxurious hair dye for the adventurous man looking to reinvent himself that will change your life. Its specialized formula is strictly made of vegan ingredients making this a cruelty-free vegan dye. It is gentle on the hair and skin and will encourage hair growth and a lustrous sheen. While it is a semi-permanent dye, it will last through sweat and water for a while, and it does not have a strong scent. It comes in several bold colors, one of which is sure to awaken your creative side.
14. dpHUE Gloss Color-Boosting Semi-Permanent Hair Dye & Deep Conditioner
Color boost with a touch of sheen is what you can expect from this excellent hair dye. It comes ready to use, requiring no mixing; perfect for the working man. The specialized formula is designed to give your hair a fresh and natural look. It will almost look like you just came out of a hair salon. The dye warps around the hair, ensuring that no harm comes to your hair. It will also deep condition your hair preventing tangling and dryness. It comes in multiple shades that you can also mix.
15. L’Oreal Paris Magic Root Cover Up
For something convent that will come to your rescue when you travel, consider this root cover-up spray. It is a temporary dye that covers up wanted grey hairs for flawless and natural roots. It is a great product to have in between salon visits or for when you need touch-ups on the go. The formula is designed to target grey hairs while ensuring you match your original hair color. It is convenient and easy to use, thanks to the portable bottle design.
16. Cover Your Gray for Men Color Touchup Spray
Last but not least is another touch-up spray for men who travel often and may not have the time to dye their hair. This convenient dye hair spray will tuck away those loose greys under a coat of natural dye. It is an aerosol spray solution that also can act as a stylizer for both slicked back grooves and messy beach hair. It offers no mess during application as it is effortless to use. It is also portable and comes in 4 shades to match your hair color exactly.
🤔 Is it weird for guys to dye their hair?
Contrary to what most people think, men dying their hair is not reserved only for celebrities. It is relatively common to find men dying their hair, sometimes in bright colors and other times in dark, subtle ones. There are many reasons why men dye their hair today. For some, it is to cover up any greying and fading. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look younger when your hair starts to grey. Some men want to embrace their grey hair and will often dye their hair to match the greying hairs. Some men also dye their hair as a way of reinventing themselves and changing their look. Your hair color could be vital to becoming more stylish and improving your appearance.
👨🦱 What is the best men’s dye?
We think that Just For Men Touch of Gray Hair Coloring for Men is the best hair dye for men. There is nothing wrong with wanting to get rid of all grey hairs on your head. However, this hair dye is specially formulated to give you a trendy salt and pepper look. This is a very fashionable trend worn by some of the most stylish men in pop culture. This hair dye gives you a chance to look mature but not old. It will also help you embrace aging but gracefully and fashionably. The hair dye is convenient as it works in minutes and lasts up to 8 weeks with lustrous opacity.
👱 Which box dye is least damaging?
The Henna Guys 100% Pure Henna Dye, in our opinion, is the least damaging box dye. This is because henna is a natural hair colorant with no additives. Therefore, it is the most natural hair dye in the market. This dye is often enriched with vitamin E and aloe vera to help strengthen the hair. Because henna is made from natural ingredients, it is the least likely to cause any damage to your hair. Henna dye is especially recommended to people with light, thin hair, as regular dyes might be too heavy. Henna dye also works well on any skin type, causing no irritation or injury if it comes in contact with the skin.
🧐 Is GREY hair unattractive?
Grey hair was once associated with aging, which was not the best way to look attractive. For years, men have felt insecure and ugly once they start greying. Luckily, times have changed, and grey hair is now considered stylish and attractive. According to a survey among women on dating sites, men with grey hair are considered attractive. It is a refreshing image, and it is associated with being mature, sophisticated, and confident. The salt and pepper look is a favorite among women, possibly because it is the perfect fusion of youthful spirit and a mature attitude. Therefore, if you start to grey, you may want to embrace it instead of hiding it.