Men face different skin issues than women.
Some of these issues include premature aging, enlarged pores, and excess oil production or greasiness. These are some of the main problems that men face concerning their skin.
For this reason, different types of products must be used to address the problem.
One good product for a man’s skin is moisturizers or lotions, which help reduce dryness, sagging, and wrinkling. It also helps in minimizing pores and controlling oil production.
Commonly Known Benefits for Best Face Creams (Moisturizers):
A moisturizer or lotion has many benefits when applied to the skin. One of the most important benefits of a moisturizer is that it slows down the aging process by reducing wrinkles, fine lines, and blemishes. Moisturizers are largely used among people who have sensitive or dry skin. Experts and non-professionals use it because these products are very easy to use, and they deliver good results in a short period. Other reasons include;
- It works as a natural antioxidant in the body and helps repair damage caused by free radicals and other environmental elements.
- It helps with hydration and softening of the skin, preventing dryness and flaking of the skin. It also helps minimize pores, eliminate excess oil production from the skin, reduce pore size resulting in blemishes, and balance sebum production.
- Lubricates or moisturizes the skin making it feel smooth, supple, soft, and young-looking, and also remove dead cells from the surface of the face to help correct uneven skin tone
- Helps in reducing wrinkles and fine lines
Types of Face Creams Moisturizers
There are two types of moisturizers- fragrance-free and those that contain fragrance. Fragrance-free moisturizers are best for men with sensitive skin. These are the most popular and can be purchased in almost any cosmetics store. They come in various forms, such as creams, lotions, sticks, night cream, and facial cleansers. They don’t have any harmful chemicals, which can irritate the skin when used for a long time. All these moisturizers are affordable and can be used by anyone.
Knowing Your Skin Type
The level of skin hydration defines skin type. You can tell whether you have oily, dry, or sensitive skin by the feel of your skin. The higher hydrated the skin is, the less likely you have itchy and sensitive areas on your face.
- Sensitive Skin Type: These people have sensitive skin, and they need emollient moisturizers to prevent most types of irritation, especially for the area around the eyes.
- Combination Skin Type: These people have both oily and dry skin. They need different moisturizers for each part of their face and keep changing it depending on the season. Usually, in the summertime, they use a light moisturizer, and in the wintertime, they use a heavy moisturizer.
- Aging Skin Type: These people have been around for more than 40 years and have dry and wrinkled skin. They have more wrinkles because of the freckles which develop over time when exposed to the sun. They also have rough skin patches on their face. These patches become darker due to sun exposure. They apply a moisturizer with a sun protection ingredient such as zinc oxide.
- Acne-Prone Skin Type: These people have oily skin, and they get acne-prone skin now and then due to stress or lack of sleep. They use a light moisturizer for their skin because it is more likely to get an acne outbreak from using a heavy one.
- Sagging Skin Type: These people have sagging skin on their face or neck area, making them look older. They apply a moisturizer with sun protection to prevent further damage to their skin.
- Oily Skin Type: These people are prone to breakouts, so they use a non-comedogenic moisturizer to control the oil production on their faces.
- Dry Skin Type: These people have dry, flaky skin, and they apply a moisturizer that can absorb the oil on their skin to prevent excessive oil production and, therefore, dryness.
- Area of Discoloration: These people have many discolorations on their skin, which causes them embarrassment and sometimes makes them ashamed of themselves. They use a blemish control moisturizer to reduce or eliminate these problems.
What to Look for When Buying Face Creams (Moisturizers):
- Look for a product that contains SPF to protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
- Choose a moisturizer with ingredients such as glycerin, shea butter, or cocoa butter to give you a soft and supple look to your skin.
- Skin conditioners such as aloe vera or chamomile can help soothe your surrounding skin with sensitive problems such as acne and rashes.
- Look for a product that contains an emollient such as glycerine or shea butter to keep your face moisturized for the whole day.
- Look for products that contain anti-inflammatory ingredients such as aloe vera, chamomile, or calendula to provide relief from mild to moderate inflammation of the skin area around your eyes, mouth, or jawline.
What You Shouldn’t Do When Using Face Creams (Moisturizers):
- Avoid using products that contain a high percentage of alcohol, as these products can dry out your skin.
- Don’t use moisturizers with thick texture if you have dry skin.
- Don’t apply moisturizer on wounded areas as it can prevent the skin from healing.
- Please don’t use a heavy moisturizer in the summertime, as it can cause your face to look shiny and greasy.
- Don’t go out in the sun with a moisturizer with SPF that does not contain any ingredients to prevent sun damage such as glycerine or shea butter.
- Please don’t use a moisturizer with a strong fragrance, as it can cause irritation and redness on your face.
- Don’t apply moisturizer just after you get out of the shower, as it can leave your skin with a greasy and slippery feel.
- Don’t apply moisturizer on broken skin, as it may make the in-growth of bacteria worse.
- Don’t use a moisturizer with a high concentration of sunscreen. If you do, it can leave your skin very oily.
- Please don’t use a moisturizer in the evening, as it can cause excess oil production overnight.
- Don’t apply a moisturizer to an area of broken skin, as it may promote bacteria’s growth and make the break out worse.
- Don’t use a moisturizer with zinc oxide or titanium dioxide in the wintertime due to the risk of blackheads or whiteheads, as these materials can clog pores.
- Don’t use a moisturizer with an acne-fighting ingredient such as salicylic acid under the eyes and on the forehead, as it can cause skin discoloration on your face.
14 Best Face Creams (Moisturizers) For Men:
Below are the top 14 face creams (moisturizers) for men on the market today, in no specific order.
1. Lab Series Daily Moisture Defense Eye BalmE
Lab Series Daily Moisture Defense Eye Balm, 0.5 Ounce (Pack of 2) by LAB Series is a moisturizing eye cream for men that helps improve the appearance of eye wrinkles and dark circles as keeps the eyelids smooth and hydrated. This is an innovative product intended to be used in the day whenever you think a moisturizer would benefit your skin condition and according to your skin type. It contains vitamins A, C, and E, which are antioxidants that can help protect your skin from harmful UV rays such as UVB and UVA rays that can cause premature aging.
2. ELEMIS Daily Moisture Boost Hydrating Day Lotion for Men
ELEMIS Daily Moisture Boost Hydrating Day Lotion for Men, 1.6 Fl Oz / 50 ml by ELEMIS is a gentle hydrating lotion for men that helps improve the moisture level of skin in general. It helps improve the appearance of skin after six weeks of daily application. This lotion contains anti-irritants that help reduce inflammation and irritation caused by skin conditions such as acne or dermatitis. It also contains vitamin E, an antioxidant known to speed up healing time for injured or burned skin areas.
3. MEN NIVEA Protective Face Lotion
MEN NIVEA Protective Face Lotion, with SPF 15, 2.5 oz Tube (Pack of 3) by Nivea is a lightweight face lotion that provides moisture control and adds sun protection to keep your skin healthy and refreshed throughout the whole day. This lotion protects your skin from UVA and UVB rays, which is good for people who spend most of their time outdoors, especially if exposed to the sun. It contains sunscreen ingredients such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide that absorb UV light to protect your face from premature aging.
4. Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry/Sensitive Skin, Fragrance-Free
Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream for Dry/Sensitive Skin, Fragrance-Free 16 oz by Cetaphil is a moisturizing cream that gently hydrates delicate skin areas on its own or when used along with a moisturizer designed for your skin type. This cream is fragrance-free, so you can apply it to preferred skin areas that are prone to irritation, such as the face and neck.
5. Rugged and Dapper Facial Moisturizer Dual Purpose Non-Toxic Face Lotion & Aftershave for Men
Rugged and Dapper Facial Moisturizer Dual Purpose Non-Toxic Face Lotion & Aftershave for Men – 4 Oz by Rugged and Dapper. It is a non-toxic, paraben-free face lotion for men that moisturizes and refreshes your skin after a shave while protecting you from harmful UV rays. This product contains aloe vera, vitamin C, and E that are antioxidants that help cells to regenerate and heal faster from skin damage caused by harmful UV rays or free radicals produced by pollution in the air.
6. JACK BLACK Double-Duty Face Moisturizer
JACK BLACK Double-Duty Face Moisturizer 4.2 Oz (Pack of 2) by JACK BLACK is a face lotion that is perfect for people who prefer a heavier moisturizing cream for their face and body. The cream is formulated with hemp seed oil, jojoba oil, and Aloe Vera to hydrate your skin while providing it with essential nutrients to keep it fresh, healthy, supple, and smooth. This product does not contain any sulfates, artificial colors, parabens, or phthalates.
7. Boots No7 Men Protect & Perfect Intense Serum Anti-Aging Night Lotion
Boots No7 Men Protect & Perfect Intense Serum Anti-Aging Night Lotion, 1.7 Fl Oz by Boots. It is a night-time anti-aging serum with Hyaluronic Acid Fusion specifically formulated to combat premature aging of the skin. This product helps moisturize dry and sensitive skin while simultaneously works to reduce the signs of aging, such as fine lines and wrinkles, and firm the outer layer of skin. It also helps reduce dark circles and puffiness around your eyes.
8. Task Essential O2 Active Moisturizer
Task Essential O2 Active Moisturizer, 1.7 oz (Pack of 2) by Task is an advanced moisturizer that hydrates the skin and provides it with essential nutrients to keep skin healthy, smooth, and soft. It helps reduce roughness on your face while also eliminating dryness and flaking on your face skin. My face feels smooth and moist after using this product. I like the smell of it too, and it’s not too strong.
9. Dove Men + Care Face Lotion Hydrate
It is a face lotion specifically intended for men since the lotion contains ingredients such as Vitamin E and Aloe Vera that help repair damaged skin cells, moisturize the skin, and leave it smooth and soft. This lotion has no alcohol, colors or artificial fragrances added that could irritate your skin, making it great for sensitive skin type.
10. Bulldog Men’s Moisturizer Fragrance
This product is a moisturizer for men specifically formulated to eliminate dryness flakiness on skin. I like the smell of this product too; it smells like black licorice or dark chocolate if you ask me.
11. Neutrogena Triple Protect Face Lotion for Men
It is a face lotion specifically formulated to moisturize and protect your skin from harmful UV rays while also fighting signs of early aging such as fine lines and wrinkles. The SPF in this product also helps protect you from sunburn caused by UVA and UVB rays. This lotion is ideal for daily use and can be used on its own or under a moisturizer, especially if you do not like to use sunscreen.
12. Vitamin C Moisturizer
Vitamin C moisturizer is a moisturizing face lotion designed to help hydrate your skin. At the same time, it protects it from damaging free radicals and other harmful substances in the environment, such as pollution and pollution caused by smoking or environmental toxins such as chlorine. It also contains alpha-hydroxy acids that help reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles.
13. Facial Moisturizer – Moisturizing Cream for Sensitive Face, Christina Moss Naturals (Unscented)
This product contains organic shea butter, which helps restore skin elasticity and hyaluronic acid, which reduces facial wrinkles’ appearance. It can be applied either independently or in combination with a heavier face lotion, especially if your skin type is oily or severely dry.
14. Mamonde Rose Water Gel Cream Facial Moisturizer Treatment
Mamonde rose water gel is a facial moisturizer that helps improve skin elasticity and smoothness while reducing roughness on your face, making it look younger and healthier. It contains rose water, which helps soothe skin while inhibiting the growth of acne-causing bacteria and yeast. This product is perfect for daily use under a moisturizer, especially if you have combination skin. Each jar contains 150g.
Frequently Asked Questions
👽 Are face men’s moisturizers made with allergens?
While some men’s moisturizers are made with allergies, not all of them are. It is best that you check the list of ingredients included in any product before purchasing it or use it.
Some major side effects or allergic reactions via men’s moisturizers included are redness, itchiness, swelling, particularly around the face area, and skin irritation.
Allergic reactions can sometimes occur if you’re using a facial moisturizer for men that contains a certain key ingredient or combination of ingredients.
🥇 What is the best men’s face moisturizer?
For men, the best facial moisturizer comes down to personal preference as far as I am concerned. Some people prefer natural ingredients on their skin, while some prefer ingredients that are filled with chemicals or other additives.
This is why it is important to read reviews about a particular product before purchasing it or using it. If your face feels dry when you’re outside, you probably need a good moisturizing cream for men.
🤔 When should men’s face moisturizer be applied?
First thing in the morning after you shower is a good time to apply a moisturizing cream for men. If you are going to be outside for several hours, you need to also use one before going in the sun.
Simply apply it on your face before going to bed if you are tired and without makeup or with sunscreen.
🧐 How often should men’s face moisturizer be used?
Men’s face moisturizers are used twice a day, depending on the weather and time of year. During the winter, you may need to use facial moisturizers for men every few hours to maintain your face’s moisture. If you are not going to be outside for long periods of time, you can probably get away with applying a moisturizer once per day.
If your skin becomes dry during the warmer months of the year, your skin may need a little extra hydration. Men’s facial moisturizers are meant for daily use.
🚹 Why can’t men use women’s moisturizers?
Men should not use female moisturizers for several reasons. One is that many women’s moisturizers are made with scents or additives that are not meant for men.
Some have components, such as glitter or color, that could also irritate your skin. This is why it is important to read the list of ingredients in any facial moisturizer for men before making a purchase or using it.
After reading through this article, if you are not already convinced that you need a moisturizer for men, well, you already missed the point of the article. I am trying to get at that anytime your skin is exposed to harmful elements, such as UV rays from the sun or cold weather, it needs a little bit of help to keep itself healthy and hydrated. For example, during the winter months, your skin will probably feel dry on its own.
Still, use a good moisturizing product for men daily in combination with hydrating your face before going outside and after coming back indoors. Your skin can maintain its moisture without a problem. It will be healthier than it was before and even more protected than before against the elements.