Table of Contents
- Types of Beard Dyes
- 12 Best Beard Dyes
- 1. Just for Men’ Natural Gray Hair Hair Dye
- 2. Godefroy Professional Hair Color Tint Kit, Medium Brown
- 3. RefectoCil Cream Hair Dye (NATURAL BROWN)
- 4. Henna Guys Pack of Dark Brown Henna Hair Color
- 5. Grizzly Mountain Organic & Natural Beard Dye
- 6. Blackbeard for Men Formula X
- 7. Cremo No Mix Hair and Beard Color, Black Brown
- 8. Madison Reed Men’s Hair Care System, Black Brown
- 9. My Perfect Goatee Temporary Goatee and Beard Color
- 10. Just for Men Control GX Grey Reducing Beard Wash and Color Kit
- 11. VOLT Grooming Instant Beard Color, Black Brown
- 12. American Crew Precision Blend Hair Dye for Men, Light Brown 4
- How To Apply Beard Dye
- Frequently Asked Questions
Beards are a very popular trend right now, and it seems like men everywhere have taken to the style.
However, not everyone can grow a beard. Some men don’t have the hair follicles in the right area, or they suffer from conditions that prevent them from growing facial hair – they may be missing some important hormones, or more likely, they have hypogonadism.
If you are one of the men who are missing the follicles to grow a beard or facial hair, but you want to have one, there is a way. The only real alternative for some guys is beard dye.
Beard dyes allow guys who want beards to get that look without the hassle of growing facial hair yourself.
You can buy beard dyes from your local drug store or beauty supply shop, but you should always do your research before choosing any skin product.
Even if you are only using a beard dye once or twice a year, you must do your research and choose the safest, easiest beard dye possible. It’s not worth risking an allergic reaction to something like this, so do your homework before you buy.
Types of Beard Dyes
Beard dyes fall into two different categories – temporary or semi-permanent.
Temporary beard dyes are designed specifically to wash out with one shampoo. You can also use a hair conditioner on your beard or facial hair to get the same effect. These are great if you want to try out a new look; you can try different colours and styles without committing to them. You also won’t have to worry about the colour rubbing off on your clothing or skin.
Semi-permanent beard dyes may require two shampoos, but they tend to last much longer. They are formulated to attach themselves to the hair shaft, so they last so much longer, and why they require a second wash before they come out. These are great if you have a favourite colour or want your beard to be a different colour every day.
12 Best Beard Dyes
1. Just for Men’ Natural Gray Hair Hair Dye
For men who are just looking to dye their chin lines or their sideburns, this product from Just for Men is the way to go. This product comes in fifty shades and should cover even the most stubborn of grey hairs. The box might be a bit expensive, but it only takes one box to dye your facial hair.
- This product comes in 50 shades, so it should be easy to find one that matches your natural hair colour.
- This dye is easy to apply, and the process takes less than fifteen minutes.
- This product has been dermatologically tested, so you should be safe when using it.
- The smell of this dye is very strong and noticeable.
2. Godefroy Professional Hair Color Tint Kit, Medium Brown
Packed with almost two dozen selections, Godefroy’s tint kit is the ideal solution for men looking to make a bearded statement. This product is highly versatile, offering a wide range of shades to choose from, including dark brown, light brown and reddish-brown. The kit also includes conditioners and shampoos that help keep your beard soft and healthy. Each application can cover up to an area of one-inch square or three-quarters of an inch in length.
- Suitable for a variety of shades.
- The dye is easy to apply and doesn’t drip.
- Complete kit to get started
- The directions aren’t particularly clear.
3. RefectoCil Cream Hair Dye (NATURAL BROWN)
If you’re a man with a full beard, your options for dyeing it are limited. Most dyes don’t work well on coarse hair, so chances are you’ve been stuck sporting a grayscale beard for years. This product is designed specifically for beards, and unlike most dyes, it works just as well on dark hair as it does on lighter hues. A little bit goes a long way, so one jar will last you months of weekly applications. Just be sure to leave your beard alone after application to avoid clumps and patchy colouring.
- Dye covers grey hair.
- Works on coarse beards.
- One jar will last you months of weekly applications.
- The developer is not included with this product but bought separately.
4. Henna Guys Pack of Dark Brown Henna Hair Color
Most beard dyes are temporary, but this one will change your hair forever. Henna Guys hair dye is 100% natural so that it won’t irritate your skin, and you don’t have to worry about respiratory problems or scalp irritation. The dye is made from organic henna, which means it’s less likely to fade than chemical dyes. It gives you the freedom to skip a few maintenance applications because henna doesn’t wash away with water or shampoo.
- Hair colour is semi-permanent.
- 100% natural product.
- It’s a powder instead of a liquid-like most dyes, and it doesn’t drip.
- Only one shade selection is available.
5. Grizzly Mountain Organic & Natural Beard Dye
This all-natural dye is designed for beards, but it can also be used on your hair, eyebrows and even topknots. The product comes in a variety of shades, including ginger brown and black walnut. Unlike most dyes that work only on the hair shaft, this one penetrates through the beard to colour the roots. This means you won’t have to worry about tinting your beard every few weeks as you do with temporary dyes.
- Dye penetrates the hair shaft for longer-lasting results.
- Varying shades are available.
- Follow up application is necessary.
6. Blackbeard for Men Formula X
Blackbeard is another all-natural product that can be used to colour beards. Unlike most dyes, this one doesn’t contain peroxide or ammonia so that it won’t irritate your skin, and it won’t damage the hair shaft. Blackbeard comes in a variety of shades, including black as well as brown and ginger. The dye is easy to apply and doesn’t drip. You’ll also like that it comes with everything you need: dye, applicator brush and conditioner (make sure to leave the conditioner after application).
- Tint lasts for up to eight weeks.
- Dye doesn’t drip.
- It comes with everything you need: dye, applicator brush and conditioner.
- No directions for application included.
7. Cremo No Mix Hair and Beard Color, Black Brown
Cremo is a premium hair dye that’s designed to give the boldest colour possible. If you’re looking for a black beard, this product will give you the deepest dark brown shade with just one application. Unlike other products, Cremo doesn’t require mixing and can be used on either light or dark hair. The company also recommends that users leave it on their beards for up to six minutes. If you’ve got one of the rare black beards out there, this product will stand out from the crowd.
- Lasts longer than traditional hair colour.
- Works on both light and dark beards.
- Cremo is one of the only beard dyes that can cover white beards in a single application.
- Can stain beards for up to six days after application.
8. Madison Reed Men’s Hair Care System, Black Brown
If you’re looking for a cheap and easy way to colour your beard, Madison Reed’s hair dye for men is a great option. The product comes in a set of three kits that include shampoo, conditioner and gel to make it easier to cover your entire scalp. The company uses natural ingredients like soy milk and honey to ensure that the product is safe for sensitive skin.
- Easy to apply; requires only a few minutes of work.
- Does not require anything but water for application
- It can cause a little skin irritation if you have sensitive skin.
9. My Perfect Goatee Temporary Goatee and Beard Color
My Perfect Goatee is one of the best temporary goatee styles available on the market. With just a few drops of water, you can get very realistic and well-defined results. The product comes with a dropper, making it easy to apply on the correct areas without worrying about getting your fingers coloured. This product does not come off easily once it is fully dried; however, you can use soap and water to wash it off if you want to remove it sooner rather than later. This product also comes in a variety of natural colours that will suit most people’s skin tone and hair colour.
- Easy to use.
- Comes in a variety of colours.
Dries quickly, so you have to work fast while applying it on your beards or else the colour will not look even on all portions of the beard or moustache area.
10. Just for Men Control GX Grey Reducing Beard Wash and Color Kit
This product has a unique and interesting way of applying colour to your beard. It comes in a kit that includes conditioner, shampoo, beard dye and a brush for applying the dye. Just for Men recommends using the conditioner to wash your beard area, supplementing with a bit of shampoo to make the hair feel softer. Once you’re done washing your beard, you can use the brush and beard dye to shade it subtly.
Just For Men also offers other shades, including chestnut brown and red tint for those who love different hues on their beards. If you’re looking for a budget-friendly and time-saving product to colour your beard, this is one of the better hair dyes on the market.
- Easy to apply.
- Makes your beard appear thicker.
- Cover grey hair.
- Does not cover all areas of your beard unless you brush it in well.
11. VOLT Grooming Instant Beard Color, Black Brown
VOLT’s beard dye comes in a unique pen applicator that makes it easy to cover your facial hair in a single application. Once the product is applied, you can use the included comb to style and groom your beard for maximum coverage. The company touts that the product is waterproof and lasts for up to 8 shampoos. You’ll also like that it comes with free moustache wax. However, some users have reported inconsistent colour results when using this product; be sure to test it out on your skin before applying it to your face.
- Easy to apply with one hand
- Lasts for up to 8 shampoos.
- Not suitable for people with sensitive skin as it can cause irritation and redness when applied.
12. American Crew Precision Blend Hair Dye for Men, Light Brown 4
This hair dye is fairly easy to apply and makes it quick to change your beard’s colour. The product comes with a three-step method that helps you amplify your beard’s colour in a matter of minutes. It works best on light beards; if you have a dark beard, this might not give you the results you want.
The product is semi-permanent, so it will not last for as long as some of the other products on our list. However, it does tend to last longer than traditional dyes because it’s made from natural ingredients. This product is great for those who want to maintain their current beard colour without the hassle of frequent touch-ups. It also has a great smell, unlike most hair dyes that have a strong chemical scent.
- Works on light beards well.
- Easy to apply.
- Does not require mixing or stirring.
- Doesn’t work as well on dark beards.
How To Apply Beard Dye
Your beard dye should come with instructions, but if it doesn’t, you can always find them online. The process is very easy. First off, you want to make sure your beard is completely dry and clean. This means no shampooing or shaving right before you apply the dye. It would help if you also were sure that your skin and facial hair are completely clean, so the dye will attach itself properly.
The next step is to apply the beard dye according to the directions on the package. You will want to make sure you dye everything you want to be coloured, and it’s easier if you are wearing gloves. The dye will most likely stain your skin or fingers, so keep that in mind before you get started. You should also note that beard dyes take a few minutes to apply, so give yourself enough time before you leave the house.
Frequently Asked Questions
🥇 What is the best beard dye?
The best beard dye is the one that is right for you. Your skin can react differently to different dyes, so switching a few different brands before you buy one is a great idea. It would help if you also considered the time of year and how often you plan on dying your beard. If you are looking only to try a new colour out, temporary dyes work great. It’s easy to use them on your beard or facial hair; they were developed specifically for this purpose.
🤔 How long does beard dye last for?
A good beard dye will last for at least a few weeks. Some dyes sell their products as “wash-in” and “wash-out” dyes, but both last for the same length of time. Wash-in means that you have to add more dye to your beard or facial hair after the first application, and wash-out dyes are applied once, and they are removed with soap and water.
🧐 Can you dye a beard with hair dye?
No, hair dye is not meant to be used for beards or facial hair. You can end up with discoloured skin, stained beard stubble or patches of discoloured hair.
👀 How do I get GREY out of my beard?
The best way to get grey out of your beard or moustache is to colour it in with a hair dye designed specifically for facial hair – especially if it is grey. All-natural hennas also work well but have a sort of orange tint to them.
❓ How can I naturally colour my beard?
The best way to colour your beard naturally is with hennas. Hennas are completely all-natural, do not contain any chemicals, and last for months (if not years). Henna colour fades over time, so if you’d like to refresh it with a new coat of henna, go back and add more. You can also use beets to dye your beard naturally. You will need to crush them in a blender and apply them to your facial hair. This will stain your skin, so be careful and use latex gloves for the best results.
🔥 What is the best beard dye for sensitive skin?
The best beard dyes for sensitive skin are that you can test out a small swatch first. It’s important to test your skin reaction to the dye before applying it to your beard or moustache.